Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 06:40:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Digital, Intel, Silicon Graphics (fwd)

> > Think this guy included *BSD, Linux, or even SCO shipments?
>
> Nope.  And in fact BSD/Linux/SCO/Intel Solaris systems probably get
> counted as "Wintel" if they go onto shrinkwrap hardware due to the good
> ol' OEM licensing scheme that MS use.
>
> >  Or was he
> > just counting "boxes" from the big UNIX guys?  And, exactly what is
> > UNIX?  Should the millions of licenses for VxWorks, QNX, LynxOS, and
> > other UNIX-like embedded systems count?
>
> It's almost certain that this posting was either a troll or someone
> trying to angle things to their advantage.

No, neither - this was a private mailing list and JG does his
research.  He was a bit of a canary in the coal mine with well
timed ship-jumping at Alliant, though honestly at that point the
gasses were visible enough he was more of an ostrich in the coal
mine.

Noting the tone some of the responses are taking and not singling
out Mike, PLEASE NO ONE GO SENDING HIM NASTY MESSAGES.  I thought
it important for attribution to leave his name in.

The reason I forwarded this is it points out the lack of info on
the Internet operating systems (sounds much better than "freeware"
or "shareware") even for someone who tends to do his research
carefully.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval