Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 02:16:01 +0000
From:      "rance@frontiernet.net" <rance@frontiernet.net>
To:        Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extensions and Themes in Firefox

Quoting Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu>:

> "rance@frontiernet.net" <rance@frontiernet.net> writes:
>
>> Quoting Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I'm using FBSD 6.1-RELEASE and I'm having trouble downloading
>>> extensions and
>>> themes in firefox (installed from packages). They all complain that they're
>>> not "supported in Unknown".
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to fix this, please?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Jeff Rollin
>>
>> I solved this problem on my freebsd 6.1-STABLE box by deinstalling all
>> graphical web tools (Opera, Firefox, etc) enabling linux binary
>> compatibility, and then installing the linux versions of all those
>> graphical www tools I had just installed.
>>
>> then the linux-plugins
>>
>> I'm very pleased with the results, as many plugings dont have a BSD version.
>
> Can you explain it in detail?  I can't find detailed instructions in
> the Handbook.  What about the flash plugin, the java plugin, the
> realplayer, the openoffice plugin, or even the mplayerplug-in?
>
> Thank you,
> Xiao-Yong
> --
>       ,,,
>      (o o)
> ---ooO-(_)-Ooo---

Ok, assuming your www browser of choice is firefox (similarly for Opera)

uninstall firefox

then make sure linux binary compatibility is enabled, the easiest way
to do that is with sysinstall.  (read the handbook for more info on
this step)

Now cd into /usr/ports/www
and look at any port whose name starts with "linux"

the ones I found most helpful where:
linux-firefox
linux-flashplugin7
linuxpluginwrapper

you might also want to look at
linux-mplayer-plugin if you use mplayer for windows media files

hope that helps.

Rance
make sure your options are what you want, and that should fix you.