Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 15:34:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, phk@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Somebody explain this to me again.. :-)

> >Why does the ``libraries'' target in /usr/src/Makefile cleans
> >automatically?  Sure, you can set NOCLEANDIR but then that turns off
>
> The libraries might be different if the compiler has changed.  The
> compiler might change because it's not in lib-tools.

I think perhaps the make world methodology is now largely redundant. In
the early days we were so busy fixing bugs in the build
tools/libraries/headers that we needed something like this but I'm not
sure that's the case now.

I think a make bootstrap would be more convenient these days where specific
cases for this particular release can be put thus avoiding a lot of
rebuilding that's basically unecessary.

When was the last time we changed the compiler, or libm or most of the
other stuff, doesn't make sense to include it all in the multiple
build stages.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155