Date:      Wed, 22 May 96 13:30 PDT
From:      pete@pelican.altadena.net (Pete Carah)
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail read errors/timeouts etc.

In article <c=US%a=_%p=Microsoft%l=DABONE-960519220510Z-13984@yuri.microsoft.com> you write:

X.400 - booooo!

>i have not discovered anything in common among the sites i'm having
>trouble with (other than the fact that my box is having trouble with all
>of them - hmm maybe that should tell me something %^)

>i'm surprised that with all the folks that've had problems with this in
>the various versions of freebsd over the last year that nobody really
>nailed it down.  i was gonna search the netbsd list archives but they
>aren't as easy to get at as the freebsd archives are (no smurfy html
>form - gotta go get 'em and grep through 'em) - i thought it'd be
>interesting to find out if the netbsd'ers have experienced the same
>difficulties.  oh well, that'll be that bottom of the barrel strategy.

Well, I have seen some systems (both Sun's and SGI's out of the box) that
will send mail directly to a host if it has an A record even if there is an
MX for the host (which is *supposed* to take precedence if present).
I know that the OI line is part of the fix but don't know all.  That
can easily cause problems if the destination's nameserver is a messed-up
firewall configuration that advertises A records for internal (unreachable)
hosts (which is *very* common; I've helped several sites straighten this
one out on the nameserver end).  O'Reilly can come to the rescue here
(at least if you can lift the sendmail book :-))

My gateway systems all run smail 3.1 which is *much* easier to configure,
but we still need good sendmail.cf's (the FreeBSD default seems to work
much better than both Sun's and SGI's defaults; the SGI default will
often result in sendmail hitting the per-user process limit, at least in
4.0.5 and 5.2.  At least Sun's default will *usually* send mail successfully
even if it is usually unreplyable outside your own domain (uses @nodename
instead of @fqdn, at least in 2.4 and 2.5, even to external destinations).)

-- Pete