Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 15:34:10 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.COM>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISA-bus flash "IDE disks" sought

> If anyone knows of a good source for ISA-bus flash cards that look
> like an IDE disk drive to software, I'd like to hear about it.

Tried Industrial Computer Source?

> I'm looking for a card that is:
>
> 	* ISA-bus based (as noted);
> 	* ca 10 MB of flash;
> 	* works as is with FreeBSD's wd driver and the BIOS (I'd
> 	  like to boot off it);
> 	* cheap, reliable, fast, etc.

Most flash cards are floppy-emulators, and usually at the BIOS, not
register level.

There are a couple of solid-state disk emulators with IDE interfaces,
but these are pretty expensive, not to mention bulky.

You might consider a PCMCIA adapter card and a PCCARD flash card (you'd
need to integrate some of the PAO work to have this happen properly).

Still not cheap, unfortunately.

mike