Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:43:52 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: KDE-2.2.1_1 base

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 10:22:18AM -0500, Jim Durham wrote:
>A couple wierd things I have noticed since upgrading to the 2.2.1_1 version
>of kdebase.

>If I have a konsole window open and open a bunch of other windows, when I
>close the other windows, (a sprinkling of Konqueror, Kmail and Konsole), then,
>when I get down to the last window (the original Konsole window), it's green
>on the top aprox 2/3 and blue at the bottom! Pyschadelic!!

If you file a PR on this, please be sure to state what medication you are
taking. It may be hard to reproduce otherwise. :)

>Also, and I suppose this makes sense, but it didn't seem to do it in 2.2,
>a window opened with "sudo su -" and "run in terminal" clicked, (to get a
>root window), won't close if you click on the "X" at the upper right corner.
>In 2.2, it would. Now you have to type "exit" at the shell prompt.

Reproduced here. Makes perfect sense. Konsole doesn't have the rights to do
a kill on the su shell.

I'd be interested to find out how it worked before. May have something to do
with the parent-process chain leading to the su shell.... that is, did the
konsole just go away and leave the su shell w/o a controlling terminal? And
if so, did the su shell really end, or was it just left hanging out in the
ether somewhere where it went unnoticed (a "Tommy" process [deaf, dumb, and
blind], as opposed to a zombie)? Could be as simple as whether konsole did a
wait() or not on the child before dying or not.

Here's another data point supporting that hypothesis: use the "New" button
to open a second shell in that konsole. Now click the [X] to close out. Say
OK to the dialog about whether you really want to do this with more than one
shell open, and then ... POOF! your non-root shell(s) get(s) whacked, and
you're left with just your su shell again.

--
Alan Eldridge
#include <cstdlib>