Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:01:21 +0000
From:      "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        mdf@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Schedule for releases

On 22 Dec 2010, at 01:28, Julian Elischer wrote:

>> (2) Is our security support lifetime for -STABLE branches too short =
to allow
>>    major products to be built on them and have the downstream product
>>    lifetime largely live within our lifetime?
>=20
> I think so.. places I have worked tend to need about a year to get a =
new release of their
> product out the door in practice, and if we jump to a new  release =
every year,
> then as they jump, so do we, so they are 2 revisions back "again".
> Generally a company wouldn't want to go through the pain of an OS =
upgrade more than
> about once in three years and often it's longer..  It IS a pain for =
them.
> they have to actually retool all their testing and they have to =
re-certify tons of
> stuff, such as their build procedures. ALSO, with a new release comes =
a new set of ports.
> and THEY have to be re-certified too.

The extended support release model was introduced to address these =
specific concerns, providing non-".0" releases that had a guarantee of a =
minimum of two years security support from the day of release. It would =
be interesting to know if this has in fact led to a preference for =
building products and providing services on extended support releases.

Looking at our current supported release table, I see that all but one =
of the releases on the table is an extended support release, including =
all non-".0" 7.x releases to date. For example, 7.1-RELEASE was shipped =
4 January 2009, and will go out of support on 31 January, 2011. That's =
not a bad run. And if vendors slide along 7-STABLE, then they'll get two =
years from the final release of 7.4, likely supporting them through =
early 2013.

We also now provide binary updates and binary upgrades -- less valuable =
to appliance builders, but it would appear widely used by =
service-oriented consumers. Feedback from vendors / consumers who are =
using extended releases in preference to regular releases would be =
welcome -- is the current balance there right?

Most of the feedback I'm getting suggests that our policy and technology =
changes in the last few years, bringing in extended support releases and =
binary updates, have addressed those problem areas. Instead the concern =
is more that -STABLE branches wrap up too quickly: if you start building =
a product against .0, and ship with .1, then you may find yourself =
trying to continue to support the product several years past our last .x =
release, causing problems running on contemporary hardware due to stale =
hardware support. And I worry a lot about the upstream problem: vendors =
who have significant local changes that never go upstream because HEAD =
is two major releases ahead.

But I think we need vendors to tell us specific stories about exactly =
where and how things have gone wrong -- Matthew's post is valuable in =
that sense, as sometimes we just hear "grumble grumble releases too =
fast", or "running into device driver problems with 6.x!". I did some =
work with a customer recently in which it was almost impossible to test =
the changes we made upstream on their actual product release version on =
the basis of a lack of device driver support in 6.x, which no longer =
supports ethernet and storage chipsets on many current motherboards.

Robert