Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 20:30:11 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>, jonc@chen.org.nz, craig@meoqu.gank.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel config problem with 4.6-STABLE...  [solution]

--98e8jtXdkpgskNou

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 10:12:42PM +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>=20
> SO> DM> make bootstrap
> SO> DM> make kernel KERNCONF=3Dmykernel
> SO> DM>
> SO> DM> Opinions?
> SO>
> SO> 	Wouldn't it be more failsafe to make buildkernel depend on bootstrap=
 ?
>=20
> Totally agreed. Now the most complicated part: we need to get Ruslan's
> "Yeah, it's the way we need" ;-)
>=20
> BTW, there is at least one pitfall, already mentioned: having installed
> src-base + src-sys is not enough to make buidlkernel (at least now). And I
> don't know both safe and efficient way to mix old way (config+make) with
> the new. Maybe Ruslan have some thoughts on it...
>=20
Nope, bootstrap is not enough.  Kernel may also require a new set of
cross-tools (compiler and binutils, amongst others) to be buildable.

Once upon a time, it was a prerequisite for buildkernel to buildworld
first.  This was "broken" in the following revision to Makefile.inc1:

: revision 1.184
: date: 2001/01/22 08:07:58;  author: imp;  state: Exp;  lines: +8 -3
: As threatened in hackers@ on Friday, obviate the need for a buildworld
: to preceed a buildkernel.
:=20
: The buildworld is still required when upgrading across major releases,
: across binutil upgrades and when config changes version.  If
: buildkernel breaks, and you haven't done a buildworld, then do not
: complain unless you do a buildworld and it still breaks.

<PS>
I usually don't pay special attention to mails I am not specifically
copied, this one being an exception rather than rule.  :-)
</PS>

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,