Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:00:26 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Jeff Gray <jwg2@cm-24-142-61-17.cableco-op.ispchannel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maximum windows on FreeBSD system

Jeff Gray writes:
>I cannot open more than 12 windows on my FreeBSD box.
>Seem to be able to open as many as I want on my Linux box.

Linux has 256 pys by default. FreeBSD has 16.

>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached
>kvt: cannot connect to X server :0
>
>Checked all files of the form
>  Xsession
>  Xresources
>  xinit
>  Xmodmap
>
>both at the system level and at the user level.  [locate is great]
>
>I cannot find any entry that might effect this setting.
>My home .xinitrc file is sparse, just starts kde, using only the system
>recources.
>
>I am running running 3.4 with kde
>
>Hints where to look appreciated.

You've probably used all the ptys. You can increase the number available
in the kernel config file. Look at LINT for how to do it. You'll need
to make additional ptys in /dev using MAKEDEV.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de garyj@fkr.cpqcorp.net gj@freebsd.org