Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 2003 20:33:51 -0800
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad Hibernation

Initially quoting me, pir@pir.net said:
>>Unfortunately, when [my ThinkPad T23] wakes up from hibernation, the
>>Xserver is hung, and has to be restarted with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

>What chipset is it ?

Win2k thinks it's an S3 Graphics SuperSavage/IXC 1014.  Dmesg thinks it's an
S3 model 8c2e graphics accelerator.  Initially, the Xserver logs it as "S3
unknown chipset (0x8c2e) rev 5" but the savage driver eventually recognizes it
as a SuperSavage/IXC 64.

Incidently, I overstated the Xserver hang.  Ctrl-Alt-Fx switches the display
from a hung Xserver to a non-hung virtual terminal.  Alt-F12 then switches
back to a non-hung Xserver.  If a virtual terminal is active when the
hibernation starts there is no hang either.

Now I just wish there were something I could put into rc.resume to make the
Xserver do whatever it does as a result of Ctrl-Alt-Fx, Alt-F12.

Thanks for your pointers.  Hibernation now looks like mostly a success.
--
M/S 258-5                     | 1024-bit PGP fingerprint: | tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center     |  41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59 |      (650) 604-4416