Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:22:38 +0600
From:      "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>
To:        richard harris <h4rris_99@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: single user

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 02:07:28AM -0700, richard harris wrote:
> > Boot from fixit disk (doesn't matter wich version
> > you have).
> > Mount your root partition (rw) and edit /etc/ttys.

[skip]
> But the problem is right now i can't come to root, so
> what can i do to come my root (password root)

1) Take a local copy of kern.flp, mfsroot.flp, fixit.flp
(f.e. from:
ftp://ftp.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.3-RELEASE/floppies)

2) Make three disks (read README.TXT in directory above)

3) Boot from kernel & mfsroot floppies. (Previously setting your computer to
boot from it, if have this option disabled by default)

4) Choose "Fixit" and insert fixit disk.

5) Mount your root partition using shell prompt (I don't remember exactly
where you can get it... Try to use Alt-F?) Ex.: mount /dev/ad0s3a /mnt

6) Edit your /mnt/etc/ttys.

7) umount /mnt

8) Remove floppy and boot single user...

9) vipw ;-))

Best Regards,

Sergey N. Voronkov.