Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 16:50:25 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Dennis Ostrovsky <denis.ostrovsky@yale.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ident question

Dennis Ostrovsky wrote:

> I didn't even know about the sockstat command, way cool.  :) When I do
> that I get:
>
> root     dhcpc      231  113 udp    *.*                   *.*
> root     inetd      153    9 tcp    *.113                 *.*
>
> It caught dhcpc because it's FD number was 113. But I think it may be the
> culprit anyway.

It shouldn't be. inetd *is* listening on port 113, so (this is going to
sound stupid) do you have two entries for ident in inetd.conf? It seems
if they are both "auth" inetd won't complain, and will just ignore the
first one, but if you have one "auth" and one "ident", you get the error
you are reporting. You should check that anyway.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and