Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 05:33:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve <vandena@ispchannel.com>
To:        mattman@mattcave.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The real Unix problem

As by now, (I'm sure), you've received many other insults and complaints,
I won't add my two cents worth to that (even though I'd love to).  I agree
with an earlier posting which points the finger directly at Micro$oft.  I
too have worked with people who don't even know how to use a mouse
properly.  To try to have them read a manual, FAQ, etc., would be
impossible.

If you are really interested in learning how software and hardware
interact, you will FIRST of all read all you can.  If you still do not
understand, THEN post your question to the appropriate newsgroup POLITELY
and you may get a response.  Be specific in asking.

There are many experts here who like helping out newbies.  (I have
first-hand knowledge of that!)  However, most of what I have learned has
been found by reading man pages, FAQ's, books, and OLD NEWSGROUP ARCHIVES
(hint-hint).  If I still cannot find the answer to my problem after doing
all that, THEN I ask for help here...NICELY.

I've been in your shoes as well...very frustrated when first learning this
OS.  Just push back from your computer, take several deep breaths, (or one
LONG break), and start at it again.

If, on the other hand, you are one of those people who needs their hand
held while they do everything (as someone else has mentioned), then you
may be better off staying with Windbloz.

On Nov 25, mattman@mattcave.net enlightened us with the following:

> The biggest problem with fucking unix and fucking unix cloned turds is th=
ere is no god damn help file that makes any sense. It will tell you what yo=
u need and how to do and then at the end you will have to send off for a fu=
cking acme esp fuck your mind kit and hope you can figure out what the gay =
ass unix admin meant. How about some fucking help for more than than versio=
n it might work for. You want to beat Microsoft??? You never will, because =
unix guys are stupid faggots that think everyone should already know what t=
hey have stuck up there ass. Fuck Unix, Unix sucks. Someone told me to use =
RedHat. It was the easiest. I went to RedHat and they told me everything I =
already knew. Here's something I don't know. How do you get a fucking progr=
am to load at startup on freebsd? Where on your fucking website do you have=
 that. I want to set up a Unix POP3 server. The instructions tell me how to=
 compile. Then they tell me to move the fucking file to a directory in my p=
ath. I can do that. Now what, the fucking end. They say I'm done. I can't g=
et any mail. They don't tell me how to configure it. They fucking make me w=
onder what the fuck they have up there ass to make me psychic. How about pu=
tting that on your website.=20
>=20
> The only thing I've found on your website is how great freebsd is and you=
 can do it but it depends on your version. I know my version... how do I fu=
cking do it?