Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 10:12:19 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up)

Except it doesn't do what it should.

A Win95/Win98 restart to MSDOS restarts the computer in DOS mode
but doesn't restores all vectors.

Why Microsoft would want to do this I dont know.

The problem is we are relying on another product to do the right
thing and it doesn't.

With Win95 you could work around it as pressing F8 on boot up
and choosing "command line only" would give you DOS with unmodified
vectors.

But Microsoft have decided to make live harder with Win98 by
modifying the vectors even in that case.

The problem is obviously in the VM86 code assuming that these
vectors are unmodified.

--
|Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|