Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 2009 12:19:23 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Learning about Control of Optimization -- for dummies please

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:54:07AM +0100, David Southwell wrote:
> I have found http://docs.freebsd.org/info/gcc/gcc.info.Optimize_Options.h=
tml.
>=20
> I am about to build a new kernel am starting to dig a bit deeper into thi=
ngs I=20
> have, until now, taken for granted.
>=20
> The above link is very informative in technical terms about how to contro=
l=20
> optimization but I find it difficult to interpret the info in a way that =
tells=20
> me what might work best on my own system (Intel quad Core) with 8G of ram.

The build system takes care of that, once you have set the correct
CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf. For a quad-core, set CPUTYPE=3Dnocona. See
make.conf(5), /usr/src/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk and
/usr/src/sys/conf/kern.pre.mk.

Additionally, compiler settings for building the kernel can be set with
COPTFLAGS in /etc/make.conf. Using anything other than -O or -O2 is
not guaranteed to work. If you don't know what you are doing, do not use
COPTFLAGS and stick with the defaults that the build system generates.=20

Roland
--=20

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C--