Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 15:13:51 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Per-process memory overhead

In message <199908092106.OAA08248@implode.root.com>, you wrote:

>>Each executing instance of this program now shows up as having an RSS of
>>36 KB.  I _know_ that 12 KB of that is the (sharable) text segment, so that
>>leaves 24 KB, per process, to account for.  Of that 24 KB, I already know
>>that the program itself is using 8 KB (for data and stack).  But note that
>>this still leaves 16 KB per process unaccounted for.
>>
>>So OK.  Three questions:
>>
>>1) Where is this extra 16 KB per-process overhead coming from?
>
>   The RSS includes the space for the process page directory (1 page) and page
>tables (2 pages), so 12KB. There is also the kernel stack and u area, which is
>a total of 2 pages.

That's 5 pages.

I think your math must be slightly off somewhere, because the actual per-
process overhead I'm seeing is actually only 4 pages (16KB).

But anyway, no matter.

You have answered my question, and I thank you for the answer.  I can't say
that it is exactly what I wanted to hear, but that's my problem.  I still
appreciate the detailed answer that you have provided.  I just wish that
I could get that page count down somehow.  (But I see that this is likely
to be impossible.)

Oh well!  Time to finally break down and buy more memory!