Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 00:58:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Re: bin/146

* gzip is by default doing best compression ratio, not best speed. Compress
* performance and memory use can be tuned also, using -b option, but
* compression performance drops dramatically while gzip options do not make
* that much a difference (gzip -1 still compresses better than compress at
* its best, and result is half of what compress -b12 makes!):
*
* 			time		ratio	 decompress
* ncompress 4.2.4 -b12	 6.80+1.06	60.4%    3.68+1.27
* gzip -1			10.49+0.68	31.4%	 3.46+0.21
* ncompress 4.2.4		13.01+1.48	46.9%	 4.12+1.11
* /usr/bin/compress	18.45+0.89	43.6%	 6.68+0.31
* gzip			27.98+0.65	26.8%	 3.25+0.18

Nice table!

* For people who need the best compression speed I would rather suggest gzip
* -1.  I cannot really see why anyone would want to use slightly faster
* compress when compression result is that much worse ?

The only time it becomes important is when you are trying to
stream a tape.  In times past, I've been able to stream tapes
using ncompress 4.2.4 but not gzip.  In my current setup, my
systems are fast enough to stream tapes with gzip -1.

As for you tests, I find that that compression ration varies quite
a bit depending on which partition I'm dumping.  Also speed.  Gzip -1
can be faster than ncompress (as your test shows) but the reverse
also can happen.

The only reason I brought this up is that if FreeBSD has a compress
program at all, it might as well have the best...

-Dave