Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:35:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        osiris2002@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Patient Monitoring !!

>Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> They all have SERIAL PORT communication.  My question, is it possible
>> to find some software to get these values, and curves out of these
>> machines, and display/save/interpret them on a FreeBSD machine ?

I'm working on something similar myself, only not in the medical field,
and using Windows, of course..  :( The owner's manuals to the
equipment may give a protocol in the appendix, or something similar.
Usually they are simple ascii commands and strings.  SOmetimes handshaking
can be tricky, but often they have routines to get you started, or
customer support may be of help.  Is it worth the trouble to switch all
this to FreeBSD?