Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 07:37:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.org>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: v6 issues

Louis A. Mamakos writes:

 > Given that there is no real support in the routers used in the backbone
 > for the Internet for IPv6, I think the characterization of "later" rather
 > than "sooner" is quite correct.  Yes, yes, you can get code to test from
 > major router vendors that implement some version of IPv6, but none of the
 > large backbone operators are likely to put their infrastruture at risk
 > to run experimental code.

Ok, with this we're into defining what is the timeframe of
"later". Since I would imagine that FreeBSD-3.0 might get released
sometime this year it would match the release plans of these major
router vendors.

 > The other consideration is that there is no real demand from ISP customers
 > for IPv6 support.  I know this as I work for one of the large Internet
 > backbone operators, and I worry about this issue.

There is if you interpret it correctly. Everybody around here is
complaining that address space is hard to come by and are spending
huge $$$ to work around that with address translation and private
addressing.

 > That having been said, IPv6 will be deployed from the "edges" of the
 > network inwards toward the backbone.  Islands of native IPv6 will be

Correct statement here would be "is being deployed". The speed or
level of deployment is not impressive yet, but I would imagine that
it gets a nice jumpstart from the router vendors when they release
their code.

 > interconnected over the existing IPv4 Internet *long* before there is
 > native IPv6 connectivity between arbitrary end-systems.  So having a
 > v6 stack in FreeBSD will be a useful thing.  But please keep the
 > larger picture in mind so that you won't be disappointed.

Obviously we need major OS vendors to have released v6 code and
applications built to use that in order to make this really
happen. However the number of applications that really use worldwide
connectivity is not that large so there is not that much updates to do
before v6 will suffice for Internet connectivity and some legacy v4
applications are used in smaller scale for intra-company tasks.

Pete