Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:45:32 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Guy Gustafson" <bigfoot@stomped.com>, "Joe Moshier" <overlord@visi.com>
Subject:   I know it's off-topic, but why is W2K so dumb?

I am trying to get a cd-rom to work under w2k, and I thought I would try out
the on-line troubleshooter, more to see how good it is, but I am fairly new
to w2k so I thought that maybe there was something that they had changed in
the setup or whatever.

Anyways....the troubleshooter asked me a bunch of questions, then it asked
me if my Cdrom was on the HCL...(hardware compatability list)  with the
following helpful hint.

Does Windows 2000 support your device?
To find out if your device is supported by Windows 2000, check the Windows
Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) at the Microsoft Web site
(http://www.microsoft.com).

 Note

  a.. If you don't have Web access, open the hcl.txt file in the Support
folder on your Windows 2000 CD-ROM.
You know, if my cd-rom worked, I wouldn't be trying to get it to work, now
would I?

Josh