Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:06:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC:  Errata on CDROM installs (was Re: ATA Atapi 4.6 Release)

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> Could someone tell me if this actually works or not? I have never
> seen the problem first-hand, so some of you folks who've actually
> experienced it need to say if I've got it right or not.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/doc/errata/article.pdf

I've just subscribed to -stable, so haven't seen all of the previous
discussion on the CD-ROM installation problem.  However, this
procedure for enabling CD-ROM based installation did not work for me.

I'm doing a floppy boot install on a 5+ year old Digital P133 machine
with SCSI disk drives and a Creative 32x CD-ROM drive.  I've never
been able to get this setup to work under dma mode (but haven't really
tried all that hard).

If this current workaround does help a large portion of users out, it
would be good to get something on the errata web page.  As further
understanding of the problem occurs the errata page could be updated.

Stuart