Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:17:48 -0500
From:      Duane Winner <dwinner-lists@att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   permissions question

Hello,

I don't know if I am having a brainfart, something is different, or if I
never had it right to begin with:

I need to have a shared directory for apache web content:

/usr/local/htmlstuff

And a group, "htmlguys", and several users will be members of that group.

I would like to have the root directory set up like this:

drwxrwxr-x   2 me  htmlguys          512 Dec 27 15:06 htmlstuff

Where "htmlguys" is the owner.

Any member of htmlguys must be able to read, write and create any file
or folder in htmlstuff, and the group owner of any file or folder in
there must still be set to "htmlguys", so that one group member can edit
another group member's file. They should be able to delete files and
folders that they did not create as well.

When I ran apache on a Redhat box, I thought I just ran:

# chmod 2770 on htmlstuff

and that did the trick for me. Any time a member of htmlguys creates a
new file in there it will be automatically be owned by the user who
created it and the group "htmlguys".

But that doesn't seem to work on FreeBSD.

I always referred to that '2' before '770' as the 'sticky bit' for the
group, but I was reading up on setuid, setguid and sticky bits this
morning, and obviously, I had it all wrong. But I know that it "did"
work on Redhat (I still have that server in production, and tested it,
so I know that works).

So I'm quite confused now, and can't find any documents that describe
how to do what I need.

Can anybody help me out with this?

Thanks,
DW