Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 11:23:26 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Tim Yardley <yardley@uiuc.edu>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: BSD chpass

In message <5.0.0.25.2.20001004011552.02eee900@students.uiuc.edu> Tim Yardley writes:
: I would just like to point out that it was posted to bugtraq because the
: original work in progress exploit was leaked.  Venders are always notified
: once you have something that works, and caddis is not in exception to this
: rule.  The leak caused this bug to be posted before it was meant to be.  If
: you do notice, obsd posted an advisory right after, which does show that at
: least some people were in the "know".

We had rumblings of this on the SO list at about 3pm or so
yesterday, but that was from the OpenBSD folks wanting to know what
versions were vulnerable.

Warner