Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:19:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with make buildkernel

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Scott Anderson wrote:
> I habitually strip my kernel.  I know that config works, because a buddy of
> mine used the exact same config on his box and it worked fine.  My cvsupfile
> does include the crypto stuff too.  I have a /usr/src/crypto folder.  I'm
> just thinking about putting Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 on the box :(

If you can't figure out how to configure a BSD kernel, go with Red Hat or
Windows XP.  Nothing personal, but I doubt Debian's for you either.

That said, I have many boxes with many kernels...  What works on one does
not necessarily work on the other.

You say you "habitually strip [your] kernel" -- does that mean you've
built this kernel or others before?  If so, you must ask what you are
doing differently now...  If you can verify that you are in fact not doing
things differently from a time when the _current_ config worked on the
_current_ system, then it is time to provide some additional debug
information.

Statements like "I know that config works because it worked on another
box" does not make it sound like you know what you're talking about.
That's not a bad thing, since we all have a lot to learn, but does imply
you should spend some time reading LINT and building a local kernel config
file _specific to your machine_ that you fully understand.

As suggested, the typical procedure is to cd /sys/i386/conf, cp GENERIC
YOURKERNEL, vi LINT in a terminal, vi YOURKERNEL in another terminal, read
LINT from top to bottom figuring out what you do or don't need, then
comment/add/edit what you don't need in YOURKERNEL...  So you essentially
end up with a copy of GENERIC with a lot of comments.  That makes it easy for
people to see what you've changed, etc.  Just commenting an option will
"strip" it from the resultant binary kernel, so having comments around
isn't a "bad thing" unless, perhaps, you're storing a very large config in
the kernel and have very few resources.

If you have additional questions about building a kernel, the handbook has
specific examples.  If you are beyond that point, and your kernel just
won't build after verifying options against LINT, your local system,
etc...  Cvsuping again (after some amount of time so changes can actually
be committed if something was in a "half-way" state during your initial
checkout), watching the checkout and attempting to verify if the observed
checkouts relate to where you see "breakage" is a good way to figure out
what step to take next.