Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:18:41 -0500
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        Scott Gasch <sgasch@microsoft.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Status of CDR support?

On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 05:14:05PM -0800, Scott Gasch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am curious as to the current support for CDR/CDRW devices.  The handbook
> says only old HP, Philips and Plasmon (whoever they are) are supported.
> However
> a search of the mailing list archives seems to suggest a beta IDE/Atapi
> driver is in
> the works.  The Hardware.txt file in today's snapshot makes no reference to
> this...
>
> Can somone enumerate what drives are known to work, what drives are
> suspected
> to work, and what drives may work sometime soon?

Get a copy of cdrecord (/usr/ports/sysutils/cdrecord; or get the tarball
from ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/). This is the de facto
Unix CD burning software. It is the recommended way of burning CDs under
FreeBSD (since worm0 left when CAM came in, possibly the only practical
way). Inside you should see a list of hardware supported, and it is definitely
more extensive than what you listed, so don't fret :-)

If you don't have a SCSI CD-R drive, I'm pretty sure you're SOL. AFAICS,
cdrecord is SCSI at heart. There was discussion here about experimental
ATAPI/IDE burner support but I don't know where it went. Just avoid the
giant IDE conspiracy altogether and get SCSI if you can. Just say NO to
IDE. IDE sucks. And so on :-)

--
  / Nathan Dorfman \  / "`IE4 brings the web to UNIX'? *laughing*