Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 23:55:04 +1100
From:      davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        IAE@exchange.spb.inkom.ru
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How turn on sound support in FreeBSD

IAE@exchange.spb.inkom.ru writes:
> After reboot FreeBSD detect SoundBalster 16, but after run command
> 'mixer' put message '/dev/mixer not found' -> I'm create dev command
> 'mknod mixer c 0 0' ( mixer put message 'ioctl not supported in this
> device' ).

This is wrong. If you're unsure of what device major or minor numbers
(and especially so if you don't know what I'm referring to here!) don't
use mknod directly.

Instead, use the script MAKEDEV in /dev. In this case, run MAKEDEV
as follows:

	cd /dev
	./MAKEDEV snd0

That should create all of the correct device files in /dev.

> Another questions my ATAPI CDROM ( HITACHI CDR-7730 ) detected in boot
> time, but 'mount /dev/wcd0c /cdrom -> report 'Input/Output error' what
> is it ?

You probably need to specify the filesystem type.

	mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom

Better yet, add the following to your /etc/fstab:

/dev/wcd0c		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0 0

then

	mount /cdrom

will work and save your fingers for other uses. :-)

Regards,

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn