Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:52:34 -0700
From:      David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: {a}sync updates (was Re: make install trick)

> 	We're talking about the special case of small root partitions, such that
> softupdates inability to make empty space available quickly can make the
> difference between a major operation's success or failure.
>
> 	This is almost impossible on a 1.8Gb root partition.

Again why?  What's the difference between a small / and a 1.8GB (byte not
bit) one?  There is nothing here to back this up.  Not enough space is
not enough space reguardless how much you started out with.

> And if you had a 1.8Gb partition with only 15Mb free, the last thing
> you'd care about is how softupdates will handle the situation.

Why would I be so concerned?  If I don't expect to need that 15M then,
I've sized my partition just right.  Don't put cares in my basket that
don't need to be there.  More uninstatiated opions.

--
-- David    (obrien@FreeBSD.org)