Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:57:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        Jeff.Kelly@t-online.de
Cc:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade from 4.5 to current fails

In message: <001e01c1eba7$ad27ff70$594bfea9@bender>
            Jeff.Kelly@t-online.de (Christian Fl=FCgel) writes:
: ----- Original Message -----
: From: "Steve Kargl" <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
: To: "Christian Fl=FCgel" <Jeff.Kelly@t-online.de>
: Cc: <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
: Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 5:29 PM
: =

: > If you start at 4.5 and upgrade to current, then the
: > installkernel should report
: >
: >   kldxref    /boot/kernel
: >   kldxref: No Such File or Directory
: >
: >   ***Error code 1(ignored)
: >
: > Note the Error code 1(ignored).
:                       ^^^^^^^^^^^
: =

: I am sure that I am not the only one who is confused by this error me=
ssage.
: I overread the (ignored) part of the message and assumend that it was=
: genuine error. Nothing about this is mentioned in either UPDATING or =
README
: and it has cost me about one day to get things straight again. A quic=
k note
: in UPDATING about this could have saved me a lot of time and energy.
: =

: But I still get signal 12 exceptions when trying to installworld.
: It seems to me that the install process still uses my old kernel and =
I am
: not able to load the new one. Could anybody please tell me how to ach=
ieve
: this?

Did you reboot with the new kernel into single user mode first?

Warner