Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 02:14:56 +1000
From:      Andrew <mynet@uq.net.au>
To:        Alex Heiphetz <heiphetz@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 100% dependability/failsafe/security/hardware

Those "fault tolerant" computers generally run custom unix variants made
by the
manufacturer of the system.

As for firewall software I would be inclined to use ipfw rather than
some commercial one. At least that way you know its probably
going to work well and  not have many bugs or loopholes. While the
commercial ones may sound great with heaps of bells and whistles you
don't
really know how good they really are?. In saying that I haven't actually

used any of the commercial ones so I may be wrong.

Raid 1 would be a good idea that way if a hard drive dies then its not a
problem.
I think Mylex would be a good choice for a raid manufacturer as they
specialize in
them and wcarchive uses one.

As for "acceptable downtime" well I guess it comes down to budget and
staff.
Obviously the answer would be as little as possible. But not many people
can afford
fault tolerant systems like the one at the german weather center or
having a whole
team of support staff siting in a server room 24/7 watching the servers.

The best solution I can see would be to have total duplication where you
have
a hot standby server that can take over automatically if the main one
has a problem.

Andrew