Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:31:38 -0400
From:      "Charles Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fsck lasting several hours (and then forever) after crash

Vladislav V. Zhuk wrote:
[ ... ]
> Every harddisk will be bad one day. fsck MUST be able to mark bad
> blocks and recover residuary data on the disk.

The purpose of 'fsck' is to make a filesystem consistent, not to do media
surface testing.

Modern hard drives usually already reallocate failing sectors to spare ones.
Often, by the time hard media errors are reported back from the drive, the
drive has run out of spare sectors and can no longer remap failing ones.
This is also the point at which data starts being lost without much chance
of recovery.

> Or freebsd must have another tool for recover data from harddisk with bad
blocks.

Yes.  You can copy the data from the failing drive to a new one via 'dd',
and then fsck the new partition, which should then work fine.

> Why under other OS it's a no problem??

"No problem" doing what?  Testing the media?  'dd' will perform destructive
read and write testing.
A dump/restore cycle will perform read and write testing without losing the
existing data.  Test the validity of the backup, first.

>  (one week ago I recover FreeBSD data under M$ DOS. FreeBSD can't do
anything
> with partition with bad blocks, fsck even can't finish check).
> Why other OS has tools for test surface HDD ??

Other people have addressed this.  Note that the best disk-checking software
for a given hard drive is probably the specific vendor utilities for that
drive (typically MS-DOS based).

> I like FreeBSD, but this OS absolutely don't ready for problem with
> disks, that will come soon or late with every HDD !!

Hard drives fail.  Either you backup the data you care about, or you run the
risk of losing data.

> (I know about backup, RAID and other. I troubled by problem discovered
> above).
>
> Sorry for my english.

No problem.  Certainly it's better than my {Russian,Polish,etc}...  :-)

-Chuck