Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 09:53:31 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> In message <199510170809.SAA07948@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au> David
>     Dawes writes:
>
> >If they ship Cyrillic fonts with their next release, they've indicated
> >(to me at least) that their preference is to use the ISO8859-5 encoding.
>
> Sigh. Why they not asking what preferences russsians have?

Because the X Consortium is a Standards Body. When there is an existing
standard for something we prefer to follow it (Like RFC 821/822). In the
face of a "real" standard, a de facto standard doesn't count.

> Oh, well, it doesn't matter. They'll force all of them to 8859-5. :-)

Why do you say this? My impression is that most people prefer precompiled
binaries from XFree86 over building from X Consortium source. XFree86
provides KOI8-R encoded fonts and locale support. Users can choose KOI8-R
or ISO8859-5 as long as there are fonts for both encodings. Nobody is
"forcing" anyone to do anything.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY
X Consortium