Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 07:26:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mark@vmunix.com (Mark Mayo)
Cc:        Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au, perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build still broken - NOT! - Oh yes it is (was)

> Well, I've personaly given Terry's patches a whirl and they seemed
> to fix up a lot of locking problems with my 3.0-CURRENT NFSv3
> cliient. I test against an Auspex filer.

This is a false sense of security you're getting here.  The locks
are locally asserted.  As I said in another posting, inter-client
locking won't work (ie: you're locks will be granted, even if another
NFS client thinks it holds them) because they aren't proxied to the
server.

I've only got one collision domain implemented here, and then only
as a preparation for rpc.statd to tell me the NFS server rebooted
and I need to recreate the locks (locks held by processes on files
where the lock can't be reasserted should actually get ESTALE on
access attempts, I think, to be safe).

In other words, they are necessary, but not sufficient for a full
NFS client locking fix.

> I haven't tried mounting both /usr/src and /usr/obj from the NFS
> server, but I have successfully built the world with a /usr/src
> NFS mounted.

The majority of current NFS problems are "write"-based.  You wouldn't
see improvement in anything but locking tests run on one client against
the server (but in that case, it would look like it's working).

> I don't know if Terry's patches would help you since I belive it
> was mostly just to implement locking correctly (I think), but it
> may be worth trying out for a comparison if your latest cvsup
> still barfs. http://www.freebsd.org/~terry for the patches.

The more testers, the merrier.  But I'm already confident from the
people who've run it so far that I'm not leaking memory, and that
the lock states are held correctly before and after the coelesce,
and the lock problems and the write problems are two different
animals (John Dyson hinted that he may be jumping into this arena
soon, now that he has time).

If you commit the patches, do it for what they do, not for what they
don't do.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---