Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 08:44:41 -0500
From:      "James E. Housley" <jeh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 64 bit counters

Michal Mertl wrote:

> I would expect this topic already popped on the list but search didn't
> revealed anything.
>
> As a hostmaster of several FreeBSD servers I noticed the problem of some
> counters overflowing (e.g. byte counters for IP/TCP/UDP overflow in
> several days on my systems). I looked at the source code and it seems

On a system that I have access to with GigE cards, running constantly
over 200Mb/s, the netstat -i counters will overflow on the order of once
every minute or two.  As an aside questions.  When we update the network
interface to use the larger 64bit counters, will external programs like
SNMP be able to function with the larger sizes or will these have
problems.  I am not sugesting we don't do this, I just want to know.

Jim
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .