Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 23:55:30 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.1

: Copyrights.  I don't particularly feel like tangling with either PKWARE
: or UniSys (LZ compression used in Zip).

Hmmm.  Then why do the FreeBSD CD's ship with ZIP on them?  It isn't
from pkware, but rather the info-zip mailing list, but Unisys might
still be an issue.

On a tagentially related topic: I'd love to see someone (maybe myself)
integrate gzip/gunzip into dump so that you can compress files before
you send them to tape.  Note I did not say compress the entire dump
before sending it to tape, but each file.  The only problems that have
been brought to my attention are that you don't want to gzip data that
won't compress (like .gz files :-), the wall time this would take
might make tape streaming impossible, and concerns about the dump file
format not having enough room for this dynamic expansion.  Has anybody
out there given thought to this?  I'm stuck with a 250M tape drive,
and 1.5G of disk space... :-(

Warner