Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 20:41:58 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Marc Silver <marcs@is.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DELL laptops...

On Monday,  8 November 1999 at  8:00:08 +0200, Marc Silver wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 11:54:59AM -0500, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>>
>>> Could you define 'relatively happy'?  ;-)
>>
>> There are a couple of things that don't work the way I want them:
>>
>> 1.  I can't get the builtin sound card to set the volume as high as
>>     the Microsoft software does.  I suspect it's misrecognizing the
>>     chip and using a compatibility mode, but I can't get Dell to tell
>>     me what's in there, let alone how to program it.
>>
>> 2.  I can't run two PCMCIA cards on the machine without trickery:
>>     there don't seem to be enough spare IRQs.  The only way I've been
>>     able to do it is by disabling the PCIC and using its IRQ for one
>>     of the cards.  This means that if I then pull the card, the
>>     machine locks up.  "Well don't do that then".
>
> If you're interested, I have the driver running excellently under
> Linux for the sound card.  I haven't yet loaded FreeBSD on here, as
> I was under the impression that Linux had better PCMCIA support.

That's only partially the case.  I had big trouble with RedHat 6.0
with the same machine.  RedHat seems to want to know the exact card,
and if it can't find the description, it can't run it.

> If you'de like to see the patch for the sound card (for the Linux
> kernel) you could perhaps hack it to work on BSD.
>
> You can get it from http://www.linux.org.za/marcs

Thanks.  I might take a look at it, but I have just resolved both the
problems I describe above.

1.  As I suspected, the default configuration entry doesn't suit the
    sound chip too well.  In LINT (but not GENERIC) you'll find:

    # For non-pnp sound cards only:
    device		pcm0 at isa? port ? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0

    This gives the following output at boot time:

    Nov  8 20:17:46 mojave /kernel: pcm0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.2> at irq 10 drq 1 on isa0

    On Søren Schmidt's recommendation, I changed it to

      device pcm0 at isa? port 0x52c irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0

    With this configuration (just the I/O address set), the system
    detects a completely different component:

    Nov  8 20:22:16 mojave /kernel: pcm0: <CS4236> at port 0x52c-0x53b irq 10 drq 1 flags 0xa600 on isa0

    That's the first part; the result is much louder.  But there's a
    second part.  Run mixer(8) and you'll probably get something like

     $ mixer
     Mixer synth    is currently set to   0:0
     Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
     Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
     Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
     Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
     Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
     Mixer mix      is currently set to   0:0
     Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0

     Set the volume levels to 100:

     $ mixer cd 100:100
     Setting the mixer cd to 100:100.

2.  Getting PCMCIA cards to work.

    I haven't done anything here.  AFAIK they still don't work under
    3.3-RELEASE, but recent changes in 4.0-CURRENT mean that my
    particular combination does work there.  Please don't go out and
    install -CURRENT on your laptop, though.  PCMCIA support on
    -CURRENT is in a very poor state, and most cards no longer work;
    I'm just lucky.  But it does show that there's nothing wrong with
    the Latitude.

> P.S.  I would CC the list on this, but my mails seem to be getting
> refused to the list, and I haven't yet had the time to fix the
> problem.  :)

I haven't had time to check, but you're arriving here without a
reverse resolution of your sending host:

mail.FreeBSD.org refuses mail from systems whose reverse DNS doesn't
look, so I suspect this is what's biting you.

Greg