Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 13:06:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT install problem

On 22-May-98 Mike Smith wrote:

>> > However, there are a couple of things that you personally (and other
>> > concerned users) can do to help the situation.
>> >
>> >  - Contribute commentary (as you have), documentation and source/
>> >    procedural fixes.  Remeber that FreeBSD is a volunteer project -
>> >    your support means that it will continue to improve.
>> >  - Donate a DPT controller to our testing pool so that we can test
>> >    with it. Chances are we can scrape enough disks together in one
>> >    place to meet the 20GB mark if we have one.
>>
>> I recently donated TWO DPT controllers and FIVE disk drives.  They went
>> two separate FreeBSD prominent figures, but still do not add up to 20GB.
>
> Then we need some accountability from these prominent figures.  Where
> is their feedback on this discussion?

I should not speak for others but I belive their systems are up and coming.
Alas, they have been supplied with only few drives each.
There are only few of us with large enough arrays to notice these problems.

>> An ajacent problem, is that fsck will fail on such filesystems.
>> The failure mode is fsck -p in /etc/rc.  It does not have, by default
>> enough resources to run a large parallel fsck.  I added the following to
>> /etc/rc:
>
> You should update the daemon class in /etc/login.conf.  Can you verify
> that the current settings there (/usr/src/etc/login.conf) are adequate?

I am using (as of today, still to be tried):

#
# Settings used by /etc/rc
#
daemon:\
        :coredumpsize@:\
        :coredumpsize-cur=0:\
        :datasize=infinity:\
        :datasize-cur@:\
        :maxproc=512:\
        :maxproc-cur@:\
        :memoryuse-cur=infinity:\
        :memorylocked-cur=infinity:\
        :openfiles=1024:\
        :openfiles-cur@:\
        :stacksize=infinity:\
        :stacksize-cur@:\
        :tc=default:

as opposed to:

        ulimit -t unlimited
        ulimit -f unlimited
        ulimit -d unlimited
        ulimit -s unlimited
        ulimit -c unlimited
        ulimit -m unlimited
        ulimit -l unlimited

BTW, what is foo@ in this file?

> (Note that a normal build does not update /etc, so you may be suffering
>  needlessly...)
>
> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

---