Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 12:58:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        garman@phs.k12.ar.us
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CMD640b ide controller bug workarounds?

> I realize that this is a hardware flaw, but the computer manufacturer is
> completely unresponsive to any requests (besides this machine is not
> under warranty any more anyhow.  If anyone has any suggestions as to how
> to deal with the manufacturer, I'd love to hear those too)
>
> Their stock response is to have the OS `vendor' fix the `problem' in their
> software.  Sigh.

Do they have a FAX machine?

Fax them the chip specs. and ask again.  The specs imply both channels
can be active at the same time.

Also, correct them: "fix the 'problem'" should be "work around the
'problem'", since the problem will still exist.  Point out to them
that you are objecting to the problem existing, not to the fact that
it can be worked around in software.

Ask them for an example of the software workaround for your OS.

In general, be vocal and annoying until they do something in response
to the irritation (even if they encapsulate you in pearl by replacing
your motherboard, like an oyster would do, your problem will be solved).

> Btw- an interesting side note... the `checkide' program that intel is
> peddling to check the problem freezes my machine.  Heh.  Sad part is that
> Intel refuses to even fix their program because my motherboard isn't an
> Intel one.

There are two check programs.  You need to search for "+IDE +CMD640" on
AltaVista.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org