Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 19:59:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Justin Ashworth <justin@structured.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/dsp out of mem. errors (was Re: your mail)

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Justin Ashworth wrote:

> >>   I keep getting errors telling me that there's no more space on /dev/dsp
> when
> >> I try to play anything with xanim or realaudio. It seems odd to me since
> I can
> >> play CDs with Workman just fine. When I boot, the kernel gives me the
> following
> >> errors:

> Doesn't work...I've done that a number of times already. While my card is
> not specifically a SB16, it is compatible. Are there any problems that you
> know of with the Ensoniq Soundscape non-PnP version and FreeBSD?

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember some options for the Ensoniq.
I may be confusing it with the OPTi, though.  I'm crossposting this to
-multimedia.

It looks like your SB16 problem could be traced to the kernel config.  My
audio config lines look like this:

controller              snd0
device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device          sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
device          sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
device          opl0    at isa? port 0x388

I think you've left the configuration details off of sbxvi0 (note the at
isa? drq 5).

The CD play is piped directly from the CD to the mixer on the card, it
isn't digitized.

realaudio won't work until a FreeBSD-specific version is released.