Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 12:34:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        trangmar@gnsnet.com (Rob Trangmar)
Cc:        langfod@maui.net, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, phk@critter.tfs.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building a "custom" release of 2.1.0

> Thats a really nice idea, but kind of requires loadable device drivers
> which FreeBSD doesn't have (yet?).
>
> On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, David Langford wrote:
>
> > Hmmm. If anyone has seen the install program for NeXTstep you might notice
> > that it adds devices drivers off disk after asking what devices you
> > have.
> >
> > Would it be possible to go LKM happy with a kernel and ask what drivers
> > to use?

FreeBSD has LKM's.

For boot-critical devices, like the display, keyboard, install media
and install target media, drivers must exist.  All other drivers could
be LKM's.

The limitation on boot-critical devices comes because there is no
VM86() "fallback" drivers using BIOS calls to do a minimal job (all
boot critical devices have BIOS hooking POST routines, or they are
unusable for DOS).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---