Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 1996 08:23:16 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        olsenc@ichips.intel.com
Cc:        jhewitt@uw-isdl.ee.washington.edu, jhp@cypress.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /kernel: stray irq 15

>We've been having some really strange problems with our local HD:
>
>Jan  4 03:04:21 smokey /kernel: stray irq 15
>Jan  4 03:04:25 smokey /kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout:
>Jan  4 03:04:25 smokey /kernel: wd0: status 7e<rdy,wrtflt,seekdone,drq,ecc_cor,index> error 0
>Jan  4 03:05:25 smokey /kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout:
>Jan  4 03:05:25 smokey /kernel: wd0: status 7e<rdy,wrtflt,seekdone,drq,ecc_cor,index> error 1<no_dam>
>
>Lately, this has led to the eventual crashing of our FreeBSD box.  It
>started somewhere in 2.0.5, we weren't sure what was going on, and now
>we're at 2.1 because 2.0.5 got trashed.
>
>Our hardware guy found a funky sound interface enabled in the BIOS on
>this Professional/GX workstation, and disabled it thinking it was the
>culprit (IRQ 15).  We also had EOI enabled in the kernel before, and
>we've disabled that as well.
>
>I'm running out of ideers...

   This looks like you might have an interrupt conflict on irq 14. It
appears that you also have something on irq 15 that occasionally generates
an interrupt. In any case, the problem looks very much to be hardware related.
I suggest a careful examination of just what is in the machine and perhaps
pull out things that aren't being used.

-DG

David Greenman
Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project