Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 21:49:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell@secnap.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: userland program panics freebsd 4.3

:I have a userland program that canpanic/reboot a freebsd 4.3 system.
:Hardware is Intel isp1100 (mbx440 motherboard) 850MHZ pIII, 256mb ram, 640mb
:swapfile
:software is 'nessusd' (network security scanner) hits the ethernet port
:pretty hard when running.
:If I read the dumpdev right, it is crashing in the vm section of the kernel,
:refrencing a structure that is not within kernel space?
:(sp)

    Hi Michael.  If you can gzip up the kernel.debug and vmcore files
    and put them up somewhere where I can download them.  This looks
    like it ought to be fairly easy to locate if I could examine the
    kernel core.

    Note that kernel cores often contain sensitive information, so you may
    not want to do this.  If you do, put them up somewhere invisible and
    email me their locations in private email (without the freebsd list).

    p.s. I think your bug report was fairly well detailed myself.  Most
    people don't post gdb backtraces the first time around :-)

:print sp->f_flags
:Cannot access memory at address 0x39.
:
: print mp
:$6 = (struct mount *) 0x2811aea8
:(kgdb) print p
:$7 = (struct proc *) 0x8068ee4
:(kgdb) print mp
:(kgdb) print sp
:$9 = (struct statfs *) 0x9
:
:--
:Michael Scheidell

    gdb doesn't always get local variables correct, due to compiler
    optimizations.  sp obviously cannot be 0x9 if mp is 0x28811aea8.
    try 'print fp' and 'print *fp' to see whether the fp looks reasonable.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>