Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:15:42 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@dreamchaser.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel build conflict, eth0 and ed0

Grrr.  I'm trying to build a kernel on a 4.1 system with both an
eth0 (Emerging Technologies et5025) and ed0 (NE2000), both isa cards.

The following lines are in my config file:

  device eth0 at isa? port 0x240 irq 5 iomem 0xd0000
  device ed0
  device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

A couple of problems:

I originally configured the ed0 on an NT system.  However, the
first boot ignored the ed0 spec, found the card, and appeared to
configure it someplace else as ed1.  This config put it at irq 5,
which prevented the eth0 device from being found.

So...

1.  Is there a way to get the eth0 device to take before any of
the ed device activity?

2.  Do I need to manually reconfigure the ed device back at irq 10
on another system again if I want it to be on irq 10?  Is there any
way to force the boot process to configure it at the right place?
I didn't think so, yet it appears to be placing it at some place
on its own -- if I add lines for ed0 and ed1 devices, it puts the
device as ed2 someplace.  I've seen it use irq 9 and irq 5, so its
not always at the same place, depending on what I've preempted, I
think.

Thanks.