Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:56:19 -0500
From:      Jim <stapleton.41@gmail.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail issues - make fails to create aliases.db in /etc/mail

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0What happens if you do a grep aliases in /etc/mail? =A0In =
my sensmail
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0files I see references to aliases in the config *.cf and M=
akefile,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0and the aliases file itself.

as in ls `/etc/mail | grep aliases` or `cat /etc/mail/* | grep aliases`
The former shows the file 'aliases' only. The latter (getting rid of
lines starting with # to clean up a bunch of crud)
[sjss@elrond /data/jail/mail-jail/etc/mail]$ cat * | grep -a 'aliases'
| grep -avE '^#'
SENDMAIL_ALIASES?=3D      /etc/mail/aliases
all: cf maps aliases
aliases: ${SENDMAIL_ALIASES:%=3D%.db}
O AliasFile=3D/etc/mail/aliases
vrfy            Verify an address.  If you want to see what it aliases
O AliasFile=3D/etc/mail/aliases
newaliases      /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
O AliasFile=3D/etc/mail/aliases

Find shows the following files contain 'aliases' in non-comment lines:
./mailer.conf
./freebsd.cf
./freebsd.submit.cf
./helpfile
./sendmail.cf
./submit.cf
./Makefile
./aliases
./mail-jail.cf
./mail-jail.submit.cf

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Did you edit any of these files? =A0Should work by default=
.
I edited: access, aliases, local-host-names, virtusertable.sample
(and apparantly forgot to copy the latter to virtualusertable, so it
shouldn't affect anything anyway)

-Jim Stapleton