Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 19:25:46 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 11:05:18AM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 07:38:33AM -0700, Joseph Scott wrote:
> > > 	I've pretty much given up on the search at freebsd.org.  For better
> > > or for worse I usually just go to www.deja.com/usenet and do a search
> > > there.
> >
> > Can you take this to -doc?  I haven't got the time to deal with it now,
> > but someone there might.
>
> I posted a request on -doc asking if anyone was interested in changing the
> search and that I would volunteer to do the work.  I haven't heard
> anything.

Something certainly ought to be done. The existing search engine seems
to be seriously screwed up in places. Aside from the 'sort by date'
option being removed it displays a different date in the list of
matches to the date in the actual message (messages regarding 3.x
seemingly posted in 1996 :-/ ). One other thing about the 'sort by
date' option was that it, as it's name suggests, only sorted the
results by date, there was/is no way of constraining the search
criteria by date (e.g. search for SCSI, but only in posts made in 1999
and 2000).

If you are prepared to do the work I am sure a lot of people will be
very grateful, including me.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie