Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 1996 00:25:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
Cc:        vlad@dusk.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup..

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Chris Shenton wrote:

> Nice analysis. Where'd you get the DAT for < $400? Was this a one-off,
> or continuing availability? Which model was it?

Thanks.  I got a refurbished WangDAT 1300 XL -- they are 2 GB max (no 120M
tape), no compression, and slow -- from Disk Drive depot --
http://www.corpsys.com/ I think they are "while supplies last".  They have
some other deals, though -- refurbished exabytes and archive loaders (hold
4 tapes), some other stuff like that, including exceedingly cheap Travan
drives (they're less than US$200). You might want to give them a call as
well -- 408-743-8720.

I live quite close to them, so buying the drive was less of a problem -- I
could just drive down to take care of warranty issues (none of which have
happened yet).

> The TR-3 or TR-4 solution seems like a good bang/buck ratio, but I'm
> concerned about media stability. Any thoughts, anyone?

I think someone said that they thought they were quite reliable, and from
what I've seen of the media (not much, just pictures and cartridges in
translucent plastic boxes), they look more reliable than DAT.  Of course,
I have no direct experience.

bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/