Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:27:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Nash <alex@fa.tdktca.com>
To:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@axp5.physik.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio / modem problems

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Thomas Graichen wrote:

> i have an internal creatix phone-master modem - which will be detected in
> FreeBSD 2.0.5 but not in the 2.1.0 RELEASE or the march 2.2 snap - it's
> configured for irq 2 and comport 4 (2e8) - i tried to hack the sioprobe
> from 2.0.5 quickly into a 2.1.0 kernel - but it didn't help - any ideas ?
>
> what has changed since then - bruce or someone else do you have any idea what
> may be the reason for this behavior - another modem works fine and the 2.0.5
> kernel as said before detects it fine (as linux does) ?

I recently fixed a modem detection problem from someone by inserting
"DELAY(1000);"'s in sioprobe() everywhere the /* EXTRA DELAY? */ comment
appeared.  It's a hack, but clearly some portion of that code is running
too close to the edge for some (read: cheap?) serial ports (in this case it
was an internal Zoom modem in a Packard Bell computer).

Unfortunately I was never able to track down exactly where the problem was
since each changed required recompiling the kernel on my end and then
FTPing it over a 14.4 modem to the end user.  As soon as this guy gets
sources on his system, I'll resume tracking this down.

Alex