Date:      08 May 2003 23:39:24 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        David O'Brien <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fw: /rescue

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 21:15, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 08-May-2003 David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 09:42:06AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> >> Yep, .PATH does simplify things.  Revised diff
> >> attached.  Thanks for the suggestion.
> >
> > It was mostly decided to use /stand rather than /rescue as sticking with
> > FreeBSD's 10 year precidence is better than going with NetBSD's <1 yr
> > one.
>
> Nah.  /stand is what we can fit into a mfsroot on a floppy.  There
> are probably several other useful things that can be added if you
> remove that size constraint.  Also, /stand historically has never
> been updated by world.  /rescuse would be kept up to date.  These
> are really two different things.

Well, there's an argument for making /stand (or /rescue) small enough to
still fit on a floppy because it then represents the minimal set of
tools that are available to restore a hosed box, one where perhaps
/stand is also hosed and you need to recover from your minimal recovery
floppy.

If people get used to nvi being available as a recovery tool then
they'll never learn the skills necessary to recover from severe system
failures. I think we're beginning to dumb down the expected skill levels
a bit too much.

--
Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
FreeBSD Services Ltd