Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:55:53 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail(8) meets the digital camera

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 10:08:42AM -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> John Brooks wrote to 'Ryan Thompson':
>
> > Here's another thought, this email may be bigger than their entire
> > mailbox quota, in which case will they ever get it?
>
> Oh probably... In which case it will be dropped from the queue
> eventually. I'm not worried about the queue so much as I am curious
> about what kind of mail server sends back deferred responses when
> their users' quotas have been exceeded. ;-)

For all the ISP knows, the user may clear out his mailbox thirty
seconds after they give you the 4xx error.  Then the next time
your queue runs, the user gets his mail and everyone is happy.

AFAICT, a full mailbox is, and should be, a temporary condition.

If I notice a user with a habitually full box, I bounce their mail with
a fatal error in my access lists until user complains.  They almost
never do.  Those are usually the users who signed up for Internet, ran
out and signed up for every mailing list known to mankind, and couldn't
deal with the flow.  So they stop checking their mail.

lambert@lambertfam.org