Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:56:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originat.demon.co.uk>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, current@FreeBSD.org, nisha@cs.berkeley.edu, tege@matematik.su.se, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: fast memory copy for large data sizes

> >    size     libc             ours
> >      32  15.258789 MB/s   6.103516 MB/s
> >      64  20.345052 MB/s  15.258789 MB/s
> >     128  17.438616 MB/s  15.258789 MB/s
>
>    This would be a big lose in the kernel since just about all bcopy's fall
> into this range _except_ disk I/O block copies. I know this can be done better
> using other techniques (non-FP, see hackers mail from about 3 months ago). You
> should talk to John Dyson who's also working on this.

A quick check of the size would probably help and use the original
method for small copies. Run a benchmark on such a scheme and see what
happens.

Anyway, I had another thought, do we save the fp registers across
context switches? I seem to remember that we don't always and instead
save them when something tries to do FP operations, I might be imagining
this but if it's true increased use of the fp regs is going to impact
context switching.

--
  Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)