Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:53:59 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        dwalton@acm.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 600E Audio problem (Solved!)

> Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:59:50 -0800
> From: Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org>
>
> Gary Kline wrote:
>  >
>  > On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 04:39:22PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>  > > To summarize, either include devices sound and snd_mss in your
>  > > kernel or load the snd_mss module. Do not include snd_csa! Add the
>  > > following to your /boot/device.hints file:
>  > > hint.pcm.0.flags="0x10"
>  > >
>  > > That should do the trick. There is no need to edit /sys/conf/files.
>  > > It should probe as:
>  > > pcm0: <CS423x-PCI> at port 0x220,0x233,0x388-0x38b,0x530-0x537 irq
> 5 drq 0,1 on isa0
>  > > pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
>
> My Thinkpad 770Z also uses the CS4610 and CS423x.  In FreeBSD 4.x, I
> used this:
>
>     device pcm0 at isa? port 0x52c irq 9 drq 1 flags 0x10
>
> I haven't been able to get sound working in 5.3-R yet, but using Kevin's
> solution as a guide, I tried this:
>
>     loader.conf
>        sound_load="YES"
>        snd_mss_load="YES"
>
>     device.hints
>        hint.pcm.0.at="isa"
>        hint.pcm.0.port="0x52c"
>        hint.pcm.0.irq="9"
>        hint.pcm.0.drq="1"
>        hint.pcm.0.flags="0x10"
>
> That gets me closer than anything else I've tried, but this is the
> response I get:
>
>     pcm0: <CS423x-PCI> port 0x220-0x233,0x388-0x38b,0x530-0x537 irq 9
> drq 0,1 flags 0x10 on acpi0
>     device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>
> The obvious question here is...  Why on earth is it saying it's on
> acpi0?  Anyone got suggestions to make this work?

It looks like you are running the 600E with ACPI. I have never been able
to get ACPI to work with my 600e and run it with APM. I am sure that
there are BIOS issues, but many BIOS problems have been worked around in
the latest code, so it probably works better by now. I have not tried
ACPI on the unit for about 2 years, so it may work better, now, but this
makes it look like it's not there quite yet. Unfortunately, it will take
me a day to update the system to 5.3 before I can really do any testing
on it.

I'll try to get to it this week, but I can't promise anything as I have
been away for two weeks and am a bit behind.

>  > 	Second, where should this be posted?  I'll add things to
>  > 	the FBSD laptop site in the 600E section;  but anywhere
>  > 	else?
>
> Where can I find this laptop site?

Actually, there are a couple of sites with FreeBSD laptop information. I
can't say how well either is maintained.

http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops/
http://www.zaptec.com/freebsd/laptop/
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer